ANST - Transporting Weapons

sabella sabella at gte.net
Fri Jun 12 10:20:38 PDT 1998

> So, for us in the SCA transporting weapons of any sort, the answer is:  (1)
> you will rarely need to worry about the entire issue, so long as the
> weapons are not in plain sight; (2) you still do not have a problem even if
> you are pulled over if you give the police no reason to search your car;
> and (3) in case you do get searched, have the weapons in a location where
> they are not easily accessible - if you can't get to them to use them, they
> are not concealed weapons.

let me make a small point....beyond the fact that I have a concealed weapons
permit...  I have made it a lifelong habit of informing the cops IMMEDIATELY of
any thing considered a weapon.  When I have to show my registration....I make a
point of saying,  ''officer I have a .357 magnum under my seat, I need to get out
of the car to get to the registration, would you care to take the gun for
me.....they always do...I have also been known to inform them of various other
weapons
that i might have access to...and after I am away from my car, explain that I do
historical reenactments and that they are part of my ''act'' or camping
euqipment.
Never fails to get me better treatment.....
Another thing, I travel looking like I am wealthier than I am....of course then
my s.o. once got stopped and got out of his mercedes in moccasins. breechclout
and a leather vest.  Fortuanately the Fla highway patrol officer was Seminole.
And the blackpowder rifles were in the back seat.......the cop shook his head and
asked my s.o. to return to the car, he did not want to be seen with someone
dressed likel that and to please leave ... quickly.  We were missing a
taillight....grins