ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Fri Jun 12 13:20:12 PDT 1998

 Alaric Styrr of Clan MacEwan wrote:
> There's actually another avenue for rapier combatants to become peers...
> Some king (with big cohones) would simply have to advance them to the
order of
> knighthood (individually, or en masse). Preferably, he'd do it with the
> support of the knight's circle (which would help with the resulting
s***storm), but as
> he's required only to "consult" the circle, he could do it without.
> No, it's not likely, but it would be an interesting fight, and might well
> change the society...

I really don't think this would work.  First, as I mentioned before, not
every recipient of a White Scarf is Peerage material.  You would have to
pick and choose which individuals had the attributes required by the
Society in a Peer.

Next, King Cojones Grandes would have to believe that the Belted Circle
would not call a Court of Chivalry to undo his actions, and furthermore
would have to believe that the Court of Chivalry would not take punitive
action against him personally.  Considering the amazing amount of flak that
resulted from the last Ansteorran Court of Chivalry, our hypothetical King
Cojones Grandes would have to be amazingly, epically stupid to consider
such a maneuver.

Finally, there is no way in Hel the hypothetical king would get the
agreement of even half of the Belted Circle to en masse advance the White
Scarves to KSCA.  Even if King Cojones Grandes only advanced those members
of the WSA who had the attributes of a Peer, he'd be in big trouble if
those same members did not also have peerage-level chivalric combat
abilities.  Corpora clearly states that the knighthood or MOA is reserved
for those fighting in the chivalric style.

If I were on the throne and as Crown wished to see the masters of the
rapier advanced to a peerage, the first step would be to ask for the
support of *all* of my Peers and Nobles.  Then with their support, I would
set about trying to convince those kingdoms which currently ban fencing.
If I succeeded before my six months were up, then I'd petition the Board to
make the necessary changes.  I see no way that one Crown could adequately
wage this particular campaign (one of the reasons why I expect that we'll
never see a rapier Peerage).  I guess that you could hedge your policy by
only allowing folks to fight in Crown who would swear an oath to uphold the
effort in their reign should they win.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)