ANST - How to Get an AoA

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Fri Jun 12 18:59:33 PDT 1998

Sabella writes:

>not to offend anyone but what's the big deal with an AoA?
>In the last 5 yrs of my playing the dream, I have seen
>snobbery rise to new levels,  and AoA's handed out as if they are made of
>precious metal available to only a few.....
>dunno, something seems wrong with this picture..

Whoa.  I have to say that this has NOT been the case in many of the groups I
have seen.  As a matter of fact, I recently found myself in dispute with a
member of a group who's general practice is to go through the list of his
group members and see what the next highest award is in the field of their
choice so that he can put in the award requisitions.  The requisite amount
of time to get an AoA in many groups that I have seen is one event
regardless of participation or not.

I would have to say that the obverse of what you say has been true... that
perhaps we should all show a bit more discrimination when we put folks in
for awards.  So many times we award people for being our close friends
rather than for fulfilling the requirements  of the award in question... not
on purpose or with foul intent; simply because we fail to take the time to
remove ourselves from our hearts long enough to judge with our heads.

Ritter Dieterich