ANST - Peerage

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri Jun 12 21:42:51 PDT 1998

The interesting thing about the SCA's current peerages is that they require a
qualification other than being of peer quality. The Laurel requires that one have
exceptional artistic ability AND the qualities of a peer. The Knighthood requires
exceptional fighting ability AND peer qualities. The Pelican requires exceptional
service AND peer qualities.

I don't think it will never happen, but what I would like to see is a single peerage
for (duh) being a peer. Our peers should be our movers and shakers. They
should be those who show the rest of us the way. They should be the best of us
and the finest examples. If another qualification is necessary, then require that
they show excellence in their field -- whatever that field is.

Let's say a rapier peerage was created. Who's next? Archers? If we take this
route, there will always be some group we did not think to include who are left
on the outside.

In the model I propose all fields can produce peers. I also expect that
"excellence in one's field", while still a requirement, would take a backseat to
peerage qualities. It would be more difficult for the kick-ass fighter or super
artist who is a jerk to become a peer.

There would also be no reason there could not be functional orders within this
peerage, who lead the way in specific areas. Or not. Perhaps such functional
orders do not need to be exclusive to the peers. Perhaps they do not even need
to be permanent appointments. When you are no longer active with in the
group, you are dropped from it. How many "retired" belts, scarves and laurels
do we have now? Peerage, would, of course, be permanent as are all SCA
awards.

Thoughts?

Don Dore