ANST - Recent translations of historical text - Sweden - long

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Jun 15 04:30:47 PDT 1998

Fox Anton Purtill wrote:

> Karin and I just spent the last several hours (mostly Karin)
> translating a section of "Svenska krönikan" or Swedish Chronicle
> texts, authentic report of history in Sweden.

Thank you for this wonderful source of information, Fox and Karin.
Can you give us some more details on when these texts were written?
If these are a secondary source, what the original was and when it
was written and a bibliographic referance for this book, even if is
in Swedish?

I will be putting this article in the Florilegium because I think
it will be of use to those studying Scandanavia as well as those
just looking for info on daily medieval life.

If you have a bibliography of such documents that would be of use
to other researchers, translated or not, that would be of interest, too.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

> Welcome to the wonderful world of medieval hygiene, we suggest
> (strongly) that you read this before a shower because you'll want one
> after. During the translation there are some words that just don't
> quite translate well, so we have attempted to give some notes as to
> what was meant.  Also we have provided some commentary on the text
> itself in an editorial sort of way [text in brackets like this
> indicates Karin or I making editorial or explanation comments].
>
> House Starblade suggests you now sit back and don't think about
> a bowl of soup (you'll understand when you are finished).
>
> Hygiene and Illnesses
> In the Countryside

<snip>