ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Tue Jun 16 00:14:36 PDT 1998

Heilsa Ansgar and all other fine Ansteorrans

Kief here speculating from HE Lorraine's account...

You wrote:

>I figure I'll chime in on the subject.  I've heard this thread several
>times over several years now.  Do I think there should be a WS peerage?
>No.  But then again, I don't entirely agree with the current system either
>since it's not entirely historically valid.  Do I consider the peerage
>qualities when I'm considering a candidate?  Yes.  However, I will support
>those evaluated at a grant level.  If there is a candidate that shows true
>peerage qualities (at least as I perceive them), I will support that
>candidate all the more.

Alrighty then... I shall add to the commentary... In many ways, from my
position outside the WSA Circle, I have witnessed the recognition of many White
Scarves over the past decade and a third... Most of whom I would be quite happy
to call my peer. So, there... From what I have seen, the same qualities that are
looked closely at in the peerage circles I sit in are certainly considered in
the WSA Circle. In many ways I see peerage level commitment by the White
Scarves. In some cases, beyond the the level of some of the other peerages...
Considering the number of Dons and Donas that are created, I think that the
Crown and the Circle do choose very carefully... To me, the candidates are
evaluated quite carefully for those attributes that do become a peer. I think,
as an example, that the "equal" order (Centurions) while chosen carefully by
their own Circle and the Crown, do not quite make muster in comparison to the
WSA in "peerage" qualities: ability in fighting, service, demeanor, A&S, and
other "intangibles"...

>I really can't support an effort to create a rapier peerage.

I would really enjoy seeing a "Rapier Peerage"... Although, I think that in
many ways it already exists...just not "offically"...

>There are
>members of our Order that I respect more than some knights, masters, or
>mistresses.  And there are people without even a grant level award that I
>feel are peers in all peerage qualities.  Some may say that as I am not a
>peer, I am not qualified to make such judgements.

Peerage level action can be recognized by anyone... Just as boorish level
activity can be recognized by anyone..... I say that you are qualified to make
such judgements... After all, you were raised Ansteorran.....

>But I feel that peerage
>is an ideal for everyone.  I don't think that anyone could meet my ideals
>of what a peer should be.  Heck, I don't even meet my ideals of what a
>white scarf should be.  But there are those that come close, and I keep
>trying.

I said it once...I'll say it again. I feel that _you_, Ansgar, are, in your
fighting style and in all other ways, my peer.

>				Just my few cents worth,
>
>				Don Ansgar

Waes Thu Hael kinfolk...

Sir Kief, Pelican, Baron, and Lion...