ANST - Peers - In the Spotlight

Fox Anton Purtill fpurtill at simpletel.com
Tue Jun 16 07:13:35 PDT 1998

I think one of the things that needs to be addressed here is what
exactly IS a peer and what does the rank and duty entail?  What
SHOULD the populace expect of their peers?  Expect too much, too
little?  What guidelines are you using?

The problem as I see it is that each person has their own subjective
opinion on what they think a peer should do and be.  Regardless of
the TYPE of peer.  There are the general standards to be sure, such
as courtly manners, grace under pressure, overall helpfullness and
benefit to the groups/kingdom as a whole.  The problem there is
this is all up to interpretation of the individual (no, I am NOT
suggesting we re-create the mindless masses of the middle ages and
abolish personl thought).

What does the rank and privledges entail so that the population
knows what they should look for?  What are the SPECIFICS of
criteria that make one a peer so that this is common knowledge
and the populace knows what is being looked for?  What are the
resons that one would never make peer?

A peer is one who embodies the excellence in a given field or
art, one who stands above the rest as a sort of icon to what
one can acheive when they stive to better themselves, so that
eventually they shine out beyond the common abilities.  These
are those people that can give guidence to those who also want
to better themselves.

The main basis of the SCA is non-profit EDUCATIONAL, those that
have proven they have attained the highest learned level with
honor and skill should be the peers.  At this time I do not have
the drive to be a excelling peer, I believe the best I can
currently acheive is court Baron.  But this doesn't mean I won't
strive to excel in what few things I can do well.  Regardless of
rank, it is my duty to the SCA as a whole to improve.

Fox Anton Purtill - Lord Crispin Starblade
House Starblade - Bryn-Gwlad - Ansteorra

      Karin Höijer-Purtill : Artist
Fox Anton Purtill : Programmer/Web Design
  blackfox at flash.net / khoijer at flash.net
         www.flash.net/~blackfox