ANST - Weapons & Tourneys

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jun 16 11:58:48 PDT 1998

> Why is it that SCA
> tourneys are primarily to the "death"?  It seems that acknowledgment of a
> "good" blow to the vital regions would suffice as "beat to submission",
> perhaps kneeling and offering your weapon to your opponent after the fight
> to let the spectators know who "won".  Why do we "die"?  And why are we back
> in the next round?  (I got better, just a flesh wound!)
>
> Talen

That's exactly why I rarely "die" in tournament. I consider my matches to be
displays of prowess and honor, not a duel to the death. Were I fighting for
my life my fighting would be a LOT nastier. I engage in a match of weapons
and skill to the honor of my opponent and the delight of the crowd.

Usually, when I'm defeated I kneel and bow to the victor. I consider it far
more elegant than flopping to the ground. Not to detract from some truly
wonderful death scenes I've seen though.

Yers,

Gunthar