ANST - White Scarves as Peers?

John Ruble ulf at urocor.com
Wed Jun 17 10:59:27 PDT 1998

Sir Corwin  wrote:

> >-Karl von Augsburg
> >__
> They said it all.....but I still wanna know who you ARE?
>
> Sir Corwin

Before any of you cut him up and fillet him, let me say that Karl is a
friend of mine and former co-worker.  Though we live hundreds of miles
about, we still communicate occasionally.  He had the grace to come up
and visit me at the event I recently autocratted, knowing full well that
I would be too busy to spend any real time with him or his lady.

He has been playing off and on in the Society for several years.  He has
fought, and drank, and lent a set of arms when needed.  In other words,
he is like any of us.

I see nothing in his original post except questions.  I see no flames,
and I see no reason to take his questions in an antagonistic fashion. He
points out another aspect of several current threads, that the Society is
not matching up well with medieval practice.  He then asks questions
about knighthood as it applies to martial arts (another recent thread).
 Finally, he asked a question concerning the disadvantage of an older
person joining the SCA and wanting to be a knight, who happens to be in
the same physical condition and current level of activity as some
hypothetical old knight.

All right. So the last question is a little off the wall.  My reply to it
is much as others.  A knight has earned his spurs.  It is the period way
to do things.  Your honors stay with you after you earn them.  Look at it
this way.  We don't ask Congressional Medal of Honor holders to requalify
for those medals.

Now, I know I've looked more than once at that list of the Chivalry and
seen many names that don't get on the list field anymore.  And some of
those ...  no longer actively pursue the ideals of chivalry.  But many
do, from the side of the field where they can "coach" their squires, from
the meeting tables where the work of the Society gets planned, and
tailgates of pickup trucks where they unload their gear and books to loan
to others.  While they no longer may be one of the "hottest sticks" in
the Kingdom, they are _still_ a peer.

Ulf