ANST - Collecting Mottos

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Thu Jun 18 17:01:41 PDT 1998

Greetings, All
I think it would be interesting to put together a file containing the
mottos of the varios peers and nobles - perhaps on the Ansteorran Heraldry
pages, or in Stefan li Rous's Florilegium files.

I don't recall what rank one has to have in order to have a motto, but for
myself and I'm sure others, it would be interesting and very
insight-provoking to know what various Ansteorran worthies have selected as
their mottos.

Here are a few that I have:

Mistress Gunnora Hallakarva
"Sisu"
(Finnish - not directly translatable to English but meaning, "heart,
courage, indominatable spirit")

Sir Hrothgar of Farley
Aptas Impudens
(Latin, "Acceptably rude")

Mistress Aeruin ni Aerin
Ire ubi volo, insidere ubi possum, volare ubi debeo.
(Latin - Go where I will, roost where I may, fly when I must)

H.L. Damaris of Greenhill
Quam Probis, Quam Fides
(Latin - "Be as good as your sworn word")

Duchess Mikaela of Monmouthshire
Usque Comissare
(Latin - "Party on!")

Sir Alexis LaBouche
Asseverum Justiciam
(Latin - "Insisting on Justice")

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)