ANST - Bottles and Brewing

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jun 19 19:03:37 PDT 1998

sach at lcc.net said something that sounded like:
> >Do any of you have suggestions to simplify the removing of labels from
> >bottles? There has got to be a better method than scraping them off...
> Try either alcohol or fingernail polish remover.  They usually work on baby
> food jars, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't on beer bottles.

Fingernail polish remover/acetone certainly does work on most. Acetone
works better because it's usually a higher strength than nail polish
remover.

Turpentine works wonders as well on most glues.

If you use anything besides hot water, make sure to rinse it *very*
well to keep from having any residue in the bottle.

I have found that there are some labels that only come off with
razorblades, and those I usually just toss in the recycling. These
typically tend to be the clear plastic kind. Either they peal off with
hot water completely or they don't come off at all. I've only found them
on some wine bottles so far.

Btw, I've found rubber cement to work best as an adhesive for bottles.
The labels don't float off in water, but when you try it easily peels off
when wet. (Of course the glue high might help my opinion. *grin*)

Ciao,