ANST - Medieval Finnish naming practices

Mararede at aol.com Mararede at aol.com
Fri Jun 19 23:34:54 PDT 1998

I have been on the web a good portion of this evening trying to discover
anything relating to this subject. Yes, I have been to Stephan's Floregelium
and found two very nice articles on Finnish history, but nothing on names.
Also NetSerf, which sent me to Stepahn of course. . . .
A friend would like to use the name "Erik (c) Mustakoara"; he know the last
name is Finnish and means "Black Dog", but is not sure if it should not be
"Koaramusta"
or how to phrase it in period style, if there is an additional patrynomic,
etc., whatever. . .  Unfortunately he has used this name for awhile and has
become rather wedded to it. . . .Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
                  Mara (Elfsea)