ANST - Re: Why Calontir doesn't Allow Rapier Fighting

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Sun Jun 21 17:49:44 PDT 1998

At 09:24 AM 6/21/98 -0500, you wrote:

>>Basically, it's because the powers-that-be in Calontir, along with most of
>>the people there, don't seem to want it. Part of their reasoning is that
>>"Calontir is a Saxon kingdom" and rapier combat would therefore be
>>inappropriate.
>

>I truly don't know that much about the ongoing situation but I was just in
>Calontir for Lillies War.  The sign that they had posted at the troll
>stated that the use of live steel weapons for demonstrations or
>competitions was illegal in the state of Missourri.  This was the
>justification that they are presently using for not allowing rapier
combat.  >This may or may not just be an excuse for keeping the weapons
banned.

Y'know, the SCA has a similar rule. Item #8 in the Rules of the Lists says:

"Fighting with real weapons, whether fast or slow, is strictly forbidden at
any Society event. This rule does not consider approved weaponry which
meets the Society and kingdom standards for traditional Society combat
and/or Society period rapier combat, used in the context of mutual sport,
to be real weaponry."

It's pretty obvious that the weapons used for SCA rapier combat *aren't*
"live weapons". They're not sharp and they don't cause injuries worst than
the occasional bruise.

	-Tivar Moondragon