ANST - form & function

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sun Jun 21 21:45:06 PDT 1998

On 21 Jun 98, at 22:25, Laury Torrence wrote:

> 'wolf wrote:
> >
> > actually long pants were quite period ("braccae" sp???) from ancient
> > times to present
>
> I stand corrected....but I think you get my gist!!  I think they were
> called  "braes" (sp) but early versions (which is what I was thinking of)
> were generally depicted as worn with either very snug boots, or
> cross-gartered. I STILL mean that long pants weren't worn with the sort of
> boots we now wear! (ie: ropers or western riding boots

braccae ... braes (sp??? on both ...) ... all from same root word, and i would bet that
it's celtic and could be traced back to a indo-european root.  early comments on the
keltoi often mention the long pants ... any additional information from the clothiers out
there?  this one is interested in such things ....

regarding modern "western" boots ... classic case of function defines form ... the
narrow / pointed design evolved from sybiosis with the type of riding tack used ...
usually much easier to deal with stirrups with pointed toes than rounded (these days
my riding is of the two wheel variety so my round-toe engineer boots work quit well
with my floor-boards ... more interested in secure tread on foot for stability (also
perfect footwear for SCA combat ... high leather gives minimal lower leg protection,
non-slip tread (until it weras down from asphalt) gives good footing, adjustable
strapping can shug up the fit, steel toes for protection ... though a bit heavy for some
sensibilities).  many moons back, when i was still riding horses and had access to
them, i favored high top moccasin's and watching so the horse didn't step on my feet
...)

> ....                                                                      I defy anyone to
> get much more than their own leg into correctly fitted english boots!)

with my calves ... no possibility unless they are custom made (walk, bicycle, gym
work outs, inherited muscular body type - especially legs).  by the by, if anyone is
looking for *quality* custom made boots - engineer, logging, or riding styles - in any
height up to thigh-high in men and women's sizing, drop me a note and i'll send the
URL ...

planning on adding a pair of the mid-thigh high engineer models for my fall / winter /
spring riding gear ... just the thing to add another layer of general abrasion armour over
the normal leather pants ... not to mention adding some needed knee armour (ever hit
a bird with your knee at highway (65-85mph)  speeds ???... it *hurts*) ...

being a life-long tejakanner and familiar with the flora and fauna of the region, i'm living
in constant fear of the armadillos (they jump up about 3ft when startled - just the height
to take out a knee in the middle of no-where ... or crash into a cars grill)

'wolf
.... reasonable armour is not just a combat consideration ...