ANST - differentiation of practice gear ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sun Jun 21 21:45:06 PDT 1998

On 21 Jun 98, at 21:57, Galen W. Bevel wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how would something like the practise sword used in
> kendo (bo-ken? is that it?) be treated under Texas law?  I am speaking
> about the training weapon made from split cane/bamboo, bound together with
> cord.  Would that be classed as a club, or some other type of weapon, or
> as sporting equipment?  Seems if that counts as sporting equipment, our
> rattan swords should be the same, and vice versa....

the boken is the solid wood practice sword, the shinai the split bamboo.

never had any problem with mine here in Austin (walking to from practice with them
cased and worn on back ...) .... now, about 20 years back in Houston had one incident
with a cop who had seen way too many martial arts flicks and insisted i had a steel
sword hidden the boken, but he couldn't find the catch to open it ... finally explained
what exactly it was and what it was used for, cased it, and went on my merry way to
practice.

in all cases, valid sporting equipment, reasonable transportation to a valid use of the
equipment, no illegal intent, no problems ....

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves