ANST - Bottles & Brewing

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Jun 22 04:52:31 PDT 1998

Athena wrote:

> During a wine tasting I attended, it was relayed to me that a different
> glue is being used to adhere labels to wine bottles so that the labels
> cannot be removed.  This is to make it a bit more difficult to replace
> the labels, which is an effort to stop theft/fraud.
>
> Branwen ðe Bæcestre

To prevent fraud, I don't believe it is the bottles they would be concerned
with, but rather the ability to get the label off in a single usable piece,
much like the auto license tags are handled. They are not concerned with
you putting your label on their bottle as much as they are you putting
their label on your cheaper or poorer quality bottle of wine.

While I haven't tried it in a while, I imagine that soaking and scrapping
will still work to remove the label. I have also found that WD-40 and
other things will often loosen label glues when plain water won't.

Has someone had trouble removing a label where this didn't work?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net