ANST - Medieval Finnish naming practices

Karin Höijer khoijer at flash.net
Tue Jun 23 04:20:32 PDT 1998

Hi!
I forwarded the question about the name to Leena Huss at the
Centre for Multiethnic Research at University of Uppsala, she
specializes in finnish names among other things, and she says:
"This was the funniest question I got in a long time! Black Dog would
be Mustakoira (Musta 'Black' and Koira 'Dog'). It sounds a bit
strange as a name but would maybe have been used.
Greetings, Leena."
Hope that helps.

Lovisa/Karin Bryn Gwlad

>Mara (Elfsea) wrote:
>A friend would like to use the name "Erik (c)
>Mustakoara"; he know the last name is Finnish and means "Black Dog",
>but is not sure if it should not be "Koaramusta" or how to phrase it
>in period style, if there is an additional patrynomic, etc.,
>whatever. . .  Unfortunately he has used this name for awhile and
>has become rather wedded to it. . . .Any help or suggestions would
>be appreciated!

  Lovisa Skrivare
       -- at --
   House Starblade