ANST - Several questions

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Wed Jun 24 00:14:17 PDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 23:56:06 -0500 "C Scot Henry" <henrycs at ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>First, although I agree that people have the right to say whatever they
>want, I really do appreciate the on-topic discussions.  Although
brewing,
>awards, fencing, etc.  are not of immediate interest to me they do widen
my
>own personal knowledge and help me think about my persona (which I'm
>just starting
>3.  As our groups new hospitaller, I am curious as to how other groups
>deal with the PR part of the job - how often are demos done, news
articles
>written, etc.?  I'm asking my superiors for answers here too, but
thought
>some discussion might be good.

As far as i am concerned, everyone is a part time hospitaller for the
SCA, some just hold an office doing it.  Demo's should be done as often
as possible/feasible. Some established groups usually have contacts in
the local school systems, libraries, churches etc. that will call
requesting demos.  A hospitaller sometimes might call a institution to
inform them that we DO demos and ask if they would like to arrange one.
For us in the coastal region, the Texas Renaissance Festival is our
highest profile demo. That usually creates not only interest from
prospective members, but also people from the above-mentioned
institutions will often approach requesting us to do demos for them as
well.  News articles... Hmm depends on who you know and how interested
the media is at the moment. (Modius, care to comment?)
 BTW what branch of the SCA are you hospitaller for?

>4.  Although I agree the DS-9 thread in not on-topic and was
disappointed
>when my husband chose not to watch it with me - the end had already been
>spoiled since he read e-mail before the show, I often find it
interesting
>that many people in the SCA are into computers, gaming, Star Trek and
>X-Files among other things.  A friend of mine once said there are five
>types of people who are attracted to the SCA (sorry I can't remember
>them).
> What think ye?

That's about true: Sci-fi/fantasy fans, gamers, Trekkies/Trekkers,
history buffs, computers geeks, radio hams, techno-nerds, drunken
revellers, painter/artists, fine craftsmen, control freaks, school
teachers, Sado-masochistic anachists, etc.  We have it all and most
people usually fall under more than a few categories (I'm not telling
which I'm in).
The person you bump into at an event could be a Ham-radio operating art/
history professor or a drunken, S&M control freak.  You just never know
:)

>Forever and always,
>Lady Capricia d'Aulnay
>Michelle Henry

Scott Waggoner
Mayne de la Croix --- The original MiB
Gate's Edge Canton, Barony of  Stargate,  Ansteorra

-----Are YOU fighting at TRF this year? Ask me for details-----