ANST - Medieval Finnish naming practices

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Jun 24 22:52:01 PDT 1998

>I have been on the web a good portion of this evening trying to discover
>anything relating to this subject. Yes, I have been to Stephan's Floregelium
>and found two very nice articles on Finnish history, but nothing on names.
>Also NetSerf, which sent me to Stepahn of course. . . .

The problem in figuring out medieval Finnish names is that all the works on
Finnish nomenclature are in Finnish, which I for one do not read very well.

There *is* an SCA presence in Finland, however I have yet to be able to get
any of them to write me back.  I understand that one fairly prominent
Finnish gentleman is active in the College of Heralds, and may be the
person whose advice you need - I can't recall the gentleman's name, but
that's where I would start.

If somebody *does* suggest books on Finnish history or nomenclature, please
forward the info to me as well.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)