ANST - Was Several questions- Now SCA and Media

John Yates ktmc at icok.net
Thu Jun 25 06:38:01 PDT 1998

A Good Thursday Morning to Ansteorrans of the List!

   I read a post regarding, in part, how often to write news articles
from a Hospitaller, and part of a reply referencing, in part, to a
section of the Florilegium soncerning PR ideas and 'handling' the media.
   In the city of McAlester, Oklahoma, there are only 4 radio stations
and one daily newspaper, with no local television station. Our group has
a beneficial thing in having members working at three of the radio
stations and the newspaper.
   Working in both print and broadcast news, I thought I would point out
that each of the three major 'media' mediums (TV, radio, and newspaper)
would have different lead times, manner of operation, possibilities for
public service announcements in advance, feature stories, etc.
   Much would depend on where a group is, what type of media outlets
(both in the city where a branch is located, but often those smaller
papers on the fringe of the Dallas market, for example,) are located.
   What type of event/demo the group is holding, whether it is open to
the public, etc., would also impact how to present it to get the most
media coverage.
   I would be happy to converse by private e-mail in more detail on
media. One point though; no publicity can be better than negative
publicity! It helps to have friendly, or at least non-antagonistic,
media.

   Valstarr
   John Yates
   <ktmc at icok.net>