ANST - awards

AuroraeB at aol.com AuroraeB at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 06:09:55 PDT 1998

<<  I know someone
 personally who was kissing up to a Baroness just to get their AOA, then
 griped because they hadn't gotten it. >>

You know,

Those who are into the SCA to gain some kind of reknown and "power" are often
disappointed.  Those who are in it for the fun of just playing rarely get so
disappointed.  I will play junior psychologist and say that I have seen a fair
number of people who take the "power" they get in the SCA too far.  I always
wonder if it is because they feel that they lack control and power and reknown
in the real world.

I think some people need to wear a post-it note stuck to their forehead saying
"It is only a hobby, it is NOT my life........."

Awards are a good thing, but "expecting" them only sets oneself up for a lot
of disappointment and jealousy.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been
in court and heard somebody piss and moan that somebody else got the award
that they deserved.  And, then are usually the first ones to gush
congratulations over the recipient.

Such duplicity and sour grapes can kill the fun of it all.

Tracy

Tracy