ANST - awards(Deads not Words)

Lisa A. May xylm1 at TTACS.TTU.EDU
Sun Jun 28 13:19:13 PDT 1998

At 12:34 AM 6/28/1998 -0500, you wrote:

>PACKAGE DIRECTIONS.  A Mistress Thyra (? in the East?) had a
>period-like peerage ceremony.  She has a Viking persona, and did it in
>an Icelandic way.  She entered the royal court and filed a lawsuit
>against the Crown for failing to recognize the status she deserved.
>The Crown allowed the lawsuit, so she called witnesses to testify.
>The Crown heard the testimony and made her a peer.  -- Of course, this
>was all with pre-arrangement and prior approval of the Crown!  The
>order had approved her and so had the Crown; this was just the
>installation ceremony.  DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.  FOR EXTERNAL USE
>ONLY.

It was the East Kingdom and it occurred at East Kingdom Court during
Pennsic XXI.  Actually, it was not she who filed suit against the crown, it
was her Laurel on her behalf (or, at least, that's how I remember it after
so long a time).  After hearing from a half-dozen witnesses about her
accomplishments, we decided that we had unjustly "neglected" our duties to
our faithful subject and raised her to the Order of the Laurel.  We took
her oath in old Norse and replied in the same language -- she sent us a
phonetically spelled written copy and a tape, and we practiced for weeks
before the ceremony!  We thought the idea of doing an actual researched
type of ceremony would be wonderful; I wish more of those being elevated to
a peerage would/could so something similar (as did Mistress Regenheild--how
the heck *do* you spell that--this past year).

Margaret