ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 30 15:45:09 PDT 1998

On 30 Jun 98, at 15:26, Bill Osterheim wrote:

> Hmmmm... this brings another thought to mind. I have two large
> Mamosa (sp?) trees in the back yard. The flowers will stain things
> they land on red. Could these be used for somebody's dyeing?

sounds like a "claire question" (g)

if you have access to large areas of prickly-pear cactus, there is a species
of small insect (starts with a "c" i think ...) that lives in them ... that
produces a really nice reddish-purple.  it was either the aztec (i believe) or
maya that used / accepted them as tribute ... the fruit of this species of
cactus makes a similar purplish liquer, and would probably produce a
decent dye in it's own right.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves