ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

jhartel jhartel at net-link.net
Tue Jun 30 13:23:39 PDT 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> if you have access to large areas of prickly-pear cactus, there is a species
> of small insect (starts with a "c" i think ...) that lives in them ... that
> produces a really nice reddish-purple.
BINGO!  You win the dyer's award of the day!  The bug you are referring
to is cochneal [sp] and gives BEAUTIFUL purples.  The prickly plant
fruit gives off really pretty Magenta's...at least on acryllic yarns.  I
tried that one years ago before I  got into natural dyineg.  The fruit
is really good to eat too.

Moriel***