ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Tue Jun 30 20:40:59 PDT 1998

On 30 Jun 98, at 23:28, jhartel wrote:

>  I don't know about that but I am positive that the Spaniards saw the rich
>  colours the Indians in Mexico were producing and brought it back
> to Erupoe.  I read an acocunt of it once but memory fails me now.  If I
> locate the info I'll send it.

i've read the same, but can't remember where i read it.

considering that the church would have used a great deal of red / purple
dye and they were one of the primary beneficiaries of the new world trade
it's understandable

i do wonder if the origional basis of the heavy use of these colors would
have been fact that these dyes origionally came primarily from the eastern
mediterranian (or so i have been led to understand) and hence were costly
and usually reserved (by commercial factors ) to the wealthy ... hence
using them would increase your status in the eye's of the populace ...

then you find a cheaper and more plentiful source in the new world, and i'm
sure they would have pounced on it (anything to increase status of the
church over the secular)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves