ANST - natural dyeing ... reds & purples

RAISYA at aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 22:16:19 PDT 1998

Madder may or may not be native to western Europe, but then again, a lot of
common medieval crops, like onions and wheat, weren't natives either.  Madder
appears in a list of plants from about 800AD, in which Charlemagne listed the
plants that should be grown on all imperial estates (when possible).

I've seen a date of 1193 for the introduction of indigo to England.

Purples can be obtained from lichen dyes, I've seen some gorgeous purples that
Mistress Kestral has gotten from lichens.  As well as some surprising hot
pinks <G>.

Raisya Khorivovna