ANST - A true Knight, and a Lion

Rollie Reid carcassonnais at geocities.com
Thu Mar 12 19:35:37 PST 1998

My first encounter with Sir Ricardo was at the first Bordermarch
Melees I ever attended.  I was living in Raven's Fort at the time.  I
had been fighting less than six months, and during the melees I found
myself confronted with a knight, who threw his hand up, and then hit
me on the leg.

A few months later I moved to Bryn Gwlad and Ricardo got many more
chances to give me bruises.  But he gave me much more than bruises.
 Sir Ricardo was one of the first knights I knew well.  His example
helped to define knighthood for me.  His prowess on the field, his
flamboyance, they became part of my concept of knighthood, and they
gave me the desire to be knight.

On my knighting scroll, there are four knights surrounding the image
of the king knighting me.  Each of the four offers up a symbol of
knighthood, a sword, a white belt, spurs and a chain.  Each of those
knights wears the colors of a knight who greatly influenced me.  One
of those knights wears red and white in honor of Sir Ricardo.

The next belted circle I attend will feel smaller.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo