ANST - Crown Tourney: Riccardo's Sword

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:43:42 PST 1998

I am a humble bard (humble, as may be), and the tales of battle that
surround this crown tournament are numerous indeed.  However, I was
particularly moved by the auction of Ricardo's Sword and would tell this
tale for those who were not there.

The auction was public, and done during feast.  Baron Pendaron, his mighty
voice ringing over the crowd, announced the beginning of the auction and
regailed the audience with a small history of the sword.  And the bidding
started.

Fifty at first, then one hundred.  One fifty.  "Two hundred!" came a cry
from the crowd.  Elfsea and Lizard Tree each called their bid as the
numbers jumped up to three hundred.  Friends of Ricardo, those who had
learned from him and those who had shared with him good times and bad, came
forward to tell tales of honor and glory.  His Excellency, Mahadi, a good
knight and true, called his bid to keep the sword among the chivalry,
"Three hundred and ten."

The bidding went higher, three hundred and fifty, and then it was four.
But the heart of our kingdom is strong, and the generosity that pours from
it was given evidence once again as the offers continued.  An offer of four
hundred and fifty came up, but Mahadi, determined, bid ten more.  Huzzahs
filled the tent, then silence.

Going once.
Silence.

Going twice.
Silence.

Going for the third time.
Silence.

Then a great cry as Mahadi was declared (as is often the case) victor.

Over four thousand dollars was raised that day for Ricardo's widow; a tenth
of it and more from the sword alone.  But these are only numbers, and like
all numbers are cold and lifeless.  The numbers alone do not show the love
and care and greatness displayed that day for a widow's loss, and the
memories of a great warrior.

I thank you again, for your patience.

In service to the dream, with a song in my heart,
jerry.

jerryn at sprintmail.com -  Jerry Norris - Houston, Texas USA
writer, reader, thinker, singer, father, lover.
Gerald of Leesville - Barony of Stargate - Kingdom of Ansteorra