ANST - Pre-War Preps

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 7 20:58:09 PST 1998

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Gio said:

>We called them "pop rivits" when I workedin the leather shop.  Pretty
good, but
>they can
>eventually work themselves loose.  Especially
>if you take a direct hit on one.

The only problem with that name is that pop rivets is the brand name for a
type of aluminum rivets that come with a nail in them.  You have to use a
pop riveter to attach them (it deforms the rivet around the nail while
extruding the nail), and they look far too modern for use on most armor.
Speed rivets are a bit on the fragile side (their thin brass, so they'll
tear or deform easily), but if you crush them together hard enough, they
don't work themselves loose.  Of course, they're easy to replace, too.  If
you want something that will last, use the solid copper rivet-and-washer
sets (also available at Tandy and most saddle shops).

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin