ANST - Elfsea Spingfaire - Garb

Scot Eddy seddy at vvm.com
Wed Mar 18 04:19:27 PST 1998

>Susan Lundgren wrote:
>> I'm planning to make new garb for Elfsea Spingfaire and I'm looking
>for
>> sources for Byzantine clothing as I've never made anything of that
>sort.
>> Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Nichola Maccoffoc              Stargate
>> Susi Lundgren                      Houston

Greeting, Jovian here,

Being Roman myself I have a nice collection of books that would most
definitely be of some help. Byzantine clothing stays pretty much the
same for a good portion of the time period we cover. 330 - 600 AD sees
somer big changes.

Cloth should be bright and bold. If if clashes somewhat... good! Find
repeating geometric patterns or solid gems tones fabrics.

Undertunic with clavii (long parallel stips of trim that start at the
bottom hem, go up over the shoulders, and down the back) Probably
ankle length.

Over tunic (aka Dalmatic) t-length (mid-calf) with sleeves to the
elbow. Here is where you go hog wild with trim or gold lame with
fusable backing. The simplest way to go is with lame around the neck,
hem, sleeve ends, and a wide stip down the front and back center.
Decorate with pearls, beads, cabochons (sp?) etc.

Belt. Wal-mart has some wonderful belts in the women's section. Don't
get a plain one.

Shoes. Low and slipper like. Decorate with pearls, beads, cabochons,
etc.

Hat: Make a long tube of cloth, stuff, wrap a strip of trim around the
front, sides, and back of the tube and set it on your head. Hang 2-3
strings of pearls from it.

Byzantine motto: More is better. When looter melted down the vestments
on a long dead Empress they got close to 22 lbs of gold.

Sources to find:
National Geographic Jan 1983
Late Period Byzantine Painting - David Talbot Rice
Byzantium - the Time Life series of the world civilizations series

Avoid Biblical figures or saints. Their clothing is the wrong thing.
For instance, Mary wears cloths from the 2nd century in all of the
icons. The same with most of the others. Look for pictures of Emperors
and court scenes. Tose will have you best examples.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Grace and Peace,

Jovian Skleros