ANST - Frequency of Colors in K&P arms

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Mar 24 14:28:56 PST 1998

Estrill, thanks for the survey of existing K&P arms!  (To
answer your final comment: I'm not particularly happy that
purpure and vert were both used much more frequently than in
period, even discounting the vert laurel wreaths.  Red is
also less common than in period in most places, as I
understand it.)

Hahseika Maleah Farashsa Raushana bint Abdulla wrote:
> So I reiterate, NOOOOOOOOOO RED

Since I haven't seen the previous discussion, I don't know
why she said that -- whether she doesn't personally like the
color or there is a functional reason.

Red was quite common in period armory.  In particular, in
Anglo-Norman armory, if a field or charge was two-colored,
red was really common in the design.  I guess it's because,
as colors go, gules has by far the best visual contrast with
all the others.

So if the field were, say, "barry sable and Or", I'd
strongly suggest gules charges on it to be visible.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.