ANST - Another Funny Story From Alina's Sister

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Mar 30 11:33:03 PST 1998

> Don't be too quick to put all these stories down as "myths."

It's true that Urban Legend != myth.  Some actually
happened.  E.g., the length of a CD was chosen to be long
enough to hold Beethoven's 9th.  There are chicken cannons,
used to test aircraft.  There was a lawn chair baloonist who
went to 16K feet.

Some were false when they started, but there may have been
imitators since who specifically wanted to imitate the
story.

Nevertheless, I'm suspicious of the truth of most ULs.  Most
are unattributed or vaguely attributed (Friend Of A Friend
is so common as to have spawned the acronym FOAF).  Further,
some stories vary.  I'm pretty sure that older versions of
the pants-out-of-the-train story didn't have the Ithaca
detail.

Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.