ANST - Crown Tourney

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Mar 30 15:12:05 PST 1998

(This is posted to the Ansteorran and SCA-Armored mailing lists)

Good Day All,

Last weekend was the Ansteorran Crown tourney. Yours truly didn't quite make
the cut but there are some words I would like to pass on. Since there was
a great deal of discussion after the previous Ansteorran Crown I feel it only
right to have some discussion on this last one.

There is a lot of debate generated on bad blow calling, rules manipulation,
overbearing tactics and just downright cheating. Unfortunately there is not
as much discussion on those things that make it all worthwhile. Those "magic
moments" of skill and Chivalry. That sometimes we just take for granted.

This past Crown tournament had many such moments and I wish to dwell on what's
RIGHT with the state of Chivalric combat.

Starting with the presentation of roses to the consorts of the fighters by the
Queen's own hand.

Sir Godwin of Eddington called a marginal but clean blow to be knocked out of
the first round. (In Ansteorra, the Crown Lyst is fought as a best two-out-of
-three single elimination. If you lose a round, you are OUT. Calling a marginal
shot in the first round is as difficult as calling one in the final.

To the unbelted fighter who faced Duke Mikael IV. This fighter was terribly
outclassed but when Mikael screwed up and offered to grant the fight to this
fighter because of his own mistake, the fighter declined the offer and said
that if His Grace yielded a fight then so would he. This kind of courage,
honor and just plain chutzpah is what makes me proud to be an Ansteorran knight.
If anyone knows who this fighter was and what events he will be attending please
let me know. I have a sword to give him.

To Sir Dietrich for daring to fight against sword and shield with sword and estoc
and also daring to win so many times with it. He also had the best death in the
tourney. The mimed blood spurting from your throat as you fell not only showed
the onlookers what had happened but also showed the honor and lack of hard
feelings you have.

To Baron Drake who declined to fight in the manner that is so effective for him
and fought his opponent's fight. He still was in the Final Three. Well done!

To Sir Lyonel who fought florentine all day. Fought like a whirlwind, called
lightly and was an absolute joy to watch. A true man of honor and skill.

To Centurian Wilhelm, you fought like a giant and called like a waif.

To Duke Patrick-Michael who had trained for this Crown, fought with the beauty
a Duke of Ansteorra should possess and acknowledged a good blow when it landed.

To Ld. Timo. This man fought as a destructive bye and defeated many worthy
opponents. Having nothing to lose, he called correctly and fought with the
skill that has granted him renown in the brief time he's been in the Society.
As well as being the Autocrat of the event.

These are just examples off the top of my head. This list has gotten long (as
it should be) so I should sign off for now. I hope others praise those who
fought as the ideal is meant to be. Ansteorra needed this Crown and the fighters
who participated all aided in the healing of what could have been an illness.
They also made the victory of Sir Barn Silveraxe that much more glorious.

On a final note: All praise to His Highness Barn. He entered the list with an
injury and fought beautifully. On the field after he won he gave me the chain
from around his neck and asked me to be his Champion. I declined at the time
since I have needed a vacation. But I have been considering his offer and may
accept (if it is still offered) until such time as it needs to be won in combat.

Sir Barn and his radiant Princess, Kat, will be the embodyment of the golden
sunlight and deep Star that is Ansteorra. I will be proud to serve them.

Yers,

Sir Gunthar Jonsson                      "It is better to lose well than
Kingdom of Ansteorra                               to win badly."

              ()
              ()