ANST - One Bad Apple

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 1 15:30:23 PDT 1998

Raymond Catz wrote:

> >I know of a case that involved a person (who had been
> > drinking) being too forward with a lady, MUCH too forward.  Even though
> > Mundane legal issues were raised, the entire matter was hush hushed
> > within the SCA.  I think that these sort of things need to be addressed
> > and dealt with, not swept under the royal carpet.
>
> We are both familiar with this case.  You are unfortunately running up
> against that anarchic thread that I mentioned earlier.  In cases involving
> genuine criminality, the tendency is to want to wait until a conviction is
> secured.  Personally, while I think this is probably wise in relation to
> board level sanctions, I am not exactly a supporter of it as a blanket
> policy at a local or kingdom level.
>
> Trust me on this.  Nothing is being swept under anybody's carpet.  The mere
> fact that you are not yet in a position to see or hear policy discussions
> does not necessarily mean that anything is being buried.

Having been in the position to be required to deal with this sort of
situation, both as a Kingdom officer and as a Crown, I can tell you at
least what motivates my response.  If something occurs which is a matter
for mundane legal authorities, then it is just that, a matter for
mundane legal authorities.  Those authorities are the appropriate agency
to take action, and having me,as an officer of an organization of which
the individuals involved are members,stick my nose into an
investigation, or speak out of turn about an individual involved in the
matter would be entirely inappropriate.  Whether it might be a violation
of law would, I am sure, depend upon the circumstances and the
individual case. Jeremy could give more definitive information on that.
But the fact that officers of the group do not speak about a matter, or
do not seem to be taking action on a matter does not mean that things
are being "swept under the rug".  It may simply be that the officers do
not feel that it is correct or appropriate for them to involve
themselves or the Society with something that should be handled by
mundane authorities.

Graf Galen K.