ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

Baronman Baronman at aol.com
Sat May 2 11:43:09 PDT 1998

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, BSilveraxe wrote:
 >Drinking at events is a long-standing tradition.
> Yes, drinking at events is a long-standing accepted practice, though I
> wouldn't call it a tradition.

I'm finally going to put in my two pence worth-- cause thats all it's worth.

  Drinking at SCA events can become a tradition if thats what one wants to do
at an event.
  After a hard day of fighting and getting slammed around by a bunch of
testosteroned kids causes  the sweat to run off of me in buckets.  With the
sweat dried and caked onto my garb so thick it could be scraped off and used
in the feast, I like nothing more than to sit with my friends after all the
fighting is done, feel my muscles tighten up and enjoy an adult ice cold
beverage.  I don't NEED it, it enjoy it.  But being a Baron of the Kingdom and
a squire to a fantastic knight, I know that if a site is absolutely DRY, I am
honor bound to to myself first, my Kingdom second and my knight third, to
adhere to the policy set forth at a site.  Rules are not meant to be broken,
bent or overlooked.  DRY is DRY.  If a person cannot deal with the fact that a
site is dry- don't go to the event.  With the availabilitiy of suitable sites
drying up within the kingdom, it seems the least we, the populace can do, is
to adhere to the rules so that future generations of the SCA will be able to
enjoy these sites.  What we do today not only affects our Kingdom now, but
also for the next generation of the SCA who come after us.

Thanks for the space for the ramblings of an old squire and Baron.  I'm going
to go and take a nap!!

Baron Bors of Lothian

il dit tout ce qu'il veut,
malheureusement il n'a
rien a' dire.
he says all that he wishes to say,
but unfortunately he has nothing to say.