ANST - Re: The Tao of Group Reading (1)

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 7 08:27:19 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

><< I know I've thumped this Bible at least once before on these lists but...
>
> I gave up on aerobic workouts long ago (though I do walk a lot, and I
> prefer stairs to elevators when I've got the time).   I had three problems
> with aerobics:  (1) I lost muscle mass, (2) I suffered repetitive stress
> injuries, and (3) it wastes too much time.  Moreover, I discovered, aerobic
> benefits are vastly overrated. >>

Brion asks:
>It's always been my impression that you work out to better what needs
>bettering.  If you're after increased muscle mass, you work on weights.  If
>you're after better wind, you work on an aerobic regime.  If you're after
>both, you do both (with the proviso that aerobics tend to whittle away at
>muscle mass in favor of muscle density).  Thus if your resting heart rate is
>50 and you _could_ run five miles at the drop of a hat, your aerobic health
>isn't what needs help.  But does it follow that the same holds true for other
>people?

Sounds reasonable, Brion, but I didn't start out with a rest heartrate of
50.  I got there by maintaining a regular anaerobic regimen.  My point was,
you can get there without the aerobics.  If you *like* aerobics, by all
means, do them, but be aware of the problems.

Aerobics cause repetitive stress injuries.  If you swim, you put a lot of
stress on your shoulders.  If you run or bike, your knees take the heat.
If you step or cross-country ski, your hips get worn down.  Aerobic
dancing?  Pick a joint.

Aerobics take up time for very little effect.  Also, the effect is
dramatically decreased if you do it wrong.  Jogging like Prez Clinton, for
example, is a waste of time.  He doesn't lift his feet.  He may as well be
watching TV.

Now, on the other hand, if you *don't* like aerobics, that's okay.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin