ANST - ANST-Alcohol Traditions

aodhfionn at unforgettable.com aodhfionn at unforgettable.com
Fri May 1 14:59:09 PDT 1998

--A letter from Skwid was butchered to obtain the following, hopefully topic-changing, quotable--
>  The
> Sweinbrothars have been around for quite a while now, > long enough to have established behaviors which can
> only be described as traditions.  There is not a one
> of them that does not involve alchohol, the least
> example being it's mention within a ceremony, the most
> dramatic being the ritualized beer baptism at a
> Sweining.
>
> If drinking is not a tradition for the Sweinbrothars,
> then I need a new definition of tradition.
<<Clip>>
> But for a Sweinbrothar not to partake of the Swein
> Stein when it is passed around would be rude, and a
> violation of my customary obligations.
--end mangled quotable--

Greetings to the list,

	The thread I am not mention ing here =} got me to thinking about historical traditions dealing with alcohol, and it occurred to me that I know more about historical traditions/ceremonies dealing with water than I do about those dealing with alcohol.
	I know that there are many cultures societies where alcohol consumption is (or at least was) required at some point, but I can only think of a very few.  unfortunately, most of those are Catholic/Christian in origin.  Drinking of wine at Communion, weddings, funerals, etc.
	I remember hearing that the Mongols had a drinking ceremony where a refusal to drink brought down a sentence of death, but I don't know if this is true, or where it might have come from.

	So, what are the historical traditions involving alcohol?  Also, did any of the non-Christian traditions/ceremonies expressly forbid becoming drunk?

In Appreciation,

Finn

Tiarna Aodhfionn Mac Cormaic    \|
Barony of Raven's Fort          \|`