ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 3 07:55:08 PDT 1998

stddly at SHSU.edu wrote:

> >important concept to remember, one person "tithe" is another persons
> >"tax" ... and that get's real ugly, real fast (seen it before, don't
> >want to see it again)
>
> >'wolf
>
> A "tax" that is imposed by an outside source _is_ repugnant. Seems that the
> American Revolt was fought over that point as well as several others.
>
> However, a _Self Imposed Tax_ would be one that could do the Kingdom or
> Principality or Barony or Shire or Land Fund a good turn...may well be "A Good
> Thing"...! If the vast majority of Kingdom subjects wanted such a thing or if
> it was made an option at events then we would all benefit...
>
> Just my dos centavos....
>
> Waes Thu Hael kinfolk...
>
> Kief

Thats right Kief.  A tithe is called a tithe, not a tax, because it is
optional...you don't have to tithe to the church, but if enough people
fail to , the church will collapse financially.  As I have always been
taught however, a true tithe is optional only at the beginning...that
is, once you've deciceded to pay a tithe, you can't just stop, or decide
to do it this week, but not next week, etc.  Some pretty particular
rules.  Maybe someone could start something local, independant of the
SCA, so so that it could be held by a separate NFP, where interested
parties could sign up to pay in, with the idea of buying and maintaining
land as the end goal.  Heyyyy, wait a minute, this sounds awfully
familiar.....

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer

--
Galen W. or Rebecca Bevel