ANST - Knighting Ceremonies

Conor mac Cinneide carcassonnais at geocities.com
Sat May 9 13:59:53 PDT 1998

    Larkin O'Kane said:

    Will someone here tell me where to get information on Knighting
    Ceremonies?  Everything from the vigil to the dubbing.

Okay, but you opened the subject.  Sir Lyonel suggests Chivalry by
Maurice Keen, and Brion Thornbird's site, both excellent places to
begin.  I have a few additional suggestions.
Chivalry by Leon Gautier, gives an excellent account Knighting
Ceremonies in Medieval literature.  He thinks he is telling you how
things really were, but almost all of his sources are literary.

Geoffrey de Charny's Book of Chivalry has some excellent passages on
the symbolism of the clothing worn during a knighting ceremony.  This
is a 14th Century work, and is finally available in an English
translation.

The epic poem on the life of Guy of Warwick has an interesting passage
on his knighting, but it is all too brief.

Other than these, my knowledge of period knighting ceremonies come
from too wide a variety of sources to list them here.  A tidbit here,
and a tidbit there.

Conor

lucetis sicut luminaria in mundo