ANST - A Warning

Houghton, Kevon Kevon_Houghton at Dell.com
Fri May 22 06:45:35 PDT 1998

The recent thread that was started by Sir Keif, about Sutan has brought
up quite a few good points.  I am going to do a little cutting and
pasting here to bring in the ones that I feel are very important and may
have been lost in the long posts.

Lord Mykaru Kurodachi said:
I also feel we have an obligation to warn new or just oblivious people
to a potentially dangerous situation. If someone moved into your
neighborhood where there was a dog that was known to bite, would you
warn your new neighbors or wait for them to be bitten. Then say "Oh
everyone knows that dog bites."

Mistress Ascelyn says:
There was a time when our children could go to an event and be safe.
That time seems to be no more.  I know of people who have committed
crimes involving violence against others and been convicted and  we as a
group let them play with us. Where do we draw the line or where can we
draw the line or can we a draw a line at all?

Tracy said: (and I would urge you to re-read her entire message)
If there is somebody who has a history of past behavior that is a cause
for concern, I want to know whether or not that person will be at an
event, so that I can decide whether or not I want to expose myself to
that risk or not. I would be SUPREMELY pissed if I were to learn that a
person who might be considered "dangerous" was at an event and people
were not warned beforehand.  There are certain individuals, that because
of their violent criminal background, I will NOT be at the same event
with and will pack up and leave if I see them there.

HLady Jan   Amazon Household said:
We stay ever vigilant.  This is OUR game based on honor and chivalry and
sometimes we must *police* ourselves.  We pass the word and we watch.
Transgressors beware.

I say:
It seems that there is a whole lot more happening amongst us than anyone
is willing to talk about.  I believe there needs to be a forum where we
CAN talk about this sort of thing.  People do need to be warned about
people's behaviors, and people's behaviors need to be punished.  We do
need to police ourselves, in a positive way, but it must be set up so
that it is completely in compliance to civilian law so there are no law
suits against us, the people, or us, the SCA. (Thank you Modius and Pug
for bringing this concern to light)  Along with passing the word, as
HLady Jan suggests, we need to have some other way of dealing with it.
I am no lawyer, neither am I a mover or shaker within the Society.  I
have no title other than Lord, yet I want to be heard.  How does this
happen?

Here's the warning:
Currently there are charges of Rape filed against Mike Lemming (Don
Miguel, the current Queen's Champion).  The alleged incident occurred at
an SCA event.  The case is at the DA's office and we will know within 10
days whether it will go to before a Grand Jury.  Legally, this is all I
can say publicly.  If you would like to know my private opinion, or more
about the case, or if you have ANY information that can aid the case,
please write me.