ANST - Court of Public Opinion

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri May 22 06:55:23 PDT 1998

On 22 May 98,, Casey&Coni wrote:

>  In
> the law's opinion, accusatory statements made out of court that are
> potentially damaging to a persons character- even when they seem
> *obviously* true- constitute grounds for a valid lawsuit (read: lawsuit
> that can win in court and cost you your money, your reputation, and
> possibly even some of your time).

I see this legal cludge get thrown around a lot, but it is a bit misguided. First,
liable only extends to certain types of statements. Second, the libelled must
show damage because of the statements (I doubt that is possible in this case).
Third, the accused must not have been able to reasonably believe the
statements. It must also be shown that any co-defendents wilfully participated
and I doubt anyone could show the SCA inc. wilfully participated. It all gets
much more complicated than this, of course, but if you want more you will have
to get a lawyer to fill you in.

Dore