ANST - This forum...

Sharon Palkowetz vivaine at flash.net
Fri May 22 09:30:21 PDT 1998

Imagine a place of mistrust, negativity, broken hearts, and dishonor. Somedays it
sounds like my job! Today, I feel like its this forum.

Thinking on the best way to say this, I believe that some have taken advantage of an
incredible vehicle for distributing information to masses with a little less
responsibility that a forum, such as this, requires.

There are systems in place for handling difficult situations and people, but what I
have seen here, are virtual witch hunts. Lets not take on the verbal vigilante
position, but take a higher road.  Everyone loves gossip, but something such as net
lists, are a paper trail, and can cause damage beyond repair.  Even if the person(s)
in question, deserve such flogging, there are better ways to handle it, and these
people will get what is coming to them. In only one instance, have I even seen the
person in question be able to come to this forum and defend themselves, and quite
frankly, there should not even be a need to.  Besides, what you say here, also
reflects on your own person as well.

I am not taking the holier-than-thou position, I am just prompting the question: Are
you using this media opportunity wisely, with responsibility, and representing the
SCA in a positive light.

We have such a golden chance here to use this wonderful media tool to really improve
the SCA.  I want to be proud that I've joined the SCA. I want to be proud that I
know the people I interact with during my spare time, are positive, open-minded,
supportive creatures.

My two cents and thanks for listening.

Vivaine Taarnfalk
Barony of Elfsea