ANST - Re: Award Rec Letters

Kevin Varner kvarner at planview.com
Fri May 22 12:23:54 PDT 1998

Lord Nikolai said:
	(items snipped)

> Now, for something completely different,  there is currently a thread
> on
> the Meridian Tavern Yard about criteria used in writing letters for
> various
> awards and whether the (possible) recipient of said awards should be
> given
> the recommendation letters before or after the award being given (or
> should
> he be privy to this information at all).
>
> How are things done in your fair Kingdom?

	[Kevin Varner]
	The Freedom of Information of 1974 allows that possible
recipient to receive copies
	of any document in SCA that has their name in it. All
correspondence sent to Officers
	or the Crown is official and must be archived (I do not remember
if there is a specific
	timeframe involved). This is why the paper trail gets longer and
longer.

	During the time I spent in Uncle Sam's livery, both as a
follower and as an NCO, the
	usual rule was not to tell the possible recipient of a an
award/promotion that their name
	was under consideration. This was to insure that should the
promotion be denied or the
	award downgraded the recipient's feelings were not hurt
(unfortunately, not every organization handled it that way). However,
every year we reviewed our personnel files.
	You can believe that I read mine very carefully.

	If a person is truly curious about what someone has written
about them, they should ask.

	Ld. Duncan MacConacher
	Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra