ANST - Court of Public Opinion

donato at mail.stlnet.com donato at mail.stlnet.com
Fri May 22 14:23:05 PDT 1998

Accusations of illegal behavior are not opinion. They are statements given
as fact, and unless the laws are different in Texas and Oklahoma, Pug has a
legitimate concern regarding libel and libel suits.  If he is list
administrator, and he allows for libelous messages (anything that holds a
person up to public scorn or ridicule) to be transmitted, he could be
legally liable as well as the person who sent the message which was
published.  Even if the statements are "provably" true, the legal issue of
invasion of privacy comes into question.  Basically, if there is no public
record of illegal activity, it is unwise and potentially illegal to make
such accusations in this venue.  Pug is aware of this no doubt and that's
why he wants it stopped.

BTW: there are two kinds of libel: per se and per quod.  Per se means just
coming right out with an accusation.  Per quod means defaming someone via
implication.  Both are actionable.

Donato el Lobo