ANST - Scrolls-sable falcon

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Mon May 25 17:00:03 PDT 1998

Vivaine wrote:
> My lord got his Sable Falcon at Gulf War, and I was going to buy him a
> frame to put the scroll in, when I realized he didnt have a scroll.  How do we go
> about and get one, or is this something we just remain quiet about til it comes?
> I dont want to bug anyone or do the wrong thing.

Here's a short story to shed a little light on the subject of Sable
Falcon scrolls specifically and award scrolls in general.

I had the honor of receiving my Sable Falcon from his then Majesty
Inman IV after the field battle at Pennsic XX.   I did not receive a
scroll with this award.  After finding out that such a scroll
existed, I asked His Grace about the possibility of getting one.  He
shared with me that, when he created the award back in September of
1982, it was intended to recognize and honor an occassion when a
fighter went beyond their current level of ability to do more than
just what was expected of them.  He then told me that he never
intended the award to come with a scroll.  Since that time, I haven't
felt slighted in the least by the fact that I did not receive a
scroll with my award.

Of the @115 holders of the Sable Falcon, I'd guess that less
than half actually have scrolls.  Fewer than half of those probably
received their scrolls long after receiving their award.  I've known
many givers and many recipients of Sable Falcons and I think I can
safely say that it means something a little different to each king
who gives one.

On the other side, most everyone I know really likes colorful
pieces of paper, and they make things feel much more official.  If
you received any kingdom award without receiving the scroll (and
almost everything has a scroll at this point), you are entitled to a
scroll if you would like one.  In some instances your local herald
(or regional scribe) might know who to contact, but the best way to
go about getting it would be to contact the Star Signet or Sable
Scroll (see the BlackStar).  The Signet can usually put you in touch
with someone locally who can help you and/or will help you
themselves.

At this point, just remember to be patient because the kingdom is
short on a few specific scrolls and it might take a little time to
actually get the scroll to you.

In the interest of keeping our Kingdom Scribes and Illuminors
busy.....(not that they *needed* my help)....

HRH Kat

Lori Campbell
lcampbel at ossm.edu