ANST - FOI, Letters of Recommendation

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue May 26 12:47:39 PDT 1998

The Freedom of Information Act requires THE GOVERNMENT to cough up
documents about you.  It does NOT require the SCA or any other private
entity to do so.

As for Letters of Recommendation, they are not required by ANY SCA law or
document to be retained -- some Crowns undoubtedly filed every one, but
most of the Crowns I know personally acted upon them (or not) and then
destroyed them.

The *only* documents that need to be kept for the Kingdom Records are those
with long-lasting consequences -- such as evidence leading to a person
being banished.

There is really no reason anyone needs to see Letters of Recommendation --
if you have the award you don't need it, if you didn't get the award all it
will make you do is be cranky because the Crown at the time didn't agree
with the person making the recommendation.

I personally may give a copy of a Letter of Recommendation that I have
written to a person *after* they received the award -- only so that they
can see exactly why *I* thought they should have the award.  If I write
such a letter and the person doesn't get the award, then I never say boo
about it, because it makes for hard feelings.

If you need ego boosts so badly that you're going to try to go hunting for
hypothetical reccomendation letters in the kingdom files, you need to get a
real life.  Go back to school - your grades and diplomas *are* on file and
accessible after the fact, and a sheepskin (your degree) is a lasting
confirmation of your worth.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)