ANST - courts of stupitity (was: Court of Public Opinion)

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 26 13:51:25 PDT 1998

Kevon_Houghton at Dell.com wrote:

>I merely wanted to give information to people who asked for it, and
>receive information from anyone who had any.

I'm going to state the obvious here: I don't recall the entire Ansteorran
list asking you for the "information" that you splashed out to the public
at large. I'll tell you exactly how what you did came across: "Gee, as long
as someone's saying something negative about someone else, I have something
negative *I* can say about someone, too!!"

Yes. That's *exactly* how it sounded. You should be embarrassed and
ashamed. What you did was wrong. Inappropriate. Not nice. Period. No amount
of explanation or attempts at justification are going to change that. The
only really acceptable thing you can say at this point is "I'm sorry, I
shouldn't have done that."

>I apologize to anyone who
>read the message and was caused undue stress, that was not the intention
>of the message.  I have learned something from this, for the most part,
>people cannot take in information without immediately reacting
>emotionally, and had I known that I more than likely would not have used
>this forum to disseminate the information.

You can't __possibly__ have been unaware that a public posting--to hundreds
of people--referencing a *possible* accusation of an ugly crime against
someone would cause "undue stress"!  How would *you* feel if the same thing
happened to you or someone you cared about? "Intention" be damned, man--if
there *was* no malice in your actions, then your original posting could
have sprung from nothing less than either perverse limelight grabbing or
stupity!

>In the words of the great
>Jack Nicholson "You want the truth?  You can't handle the truth!"

'Jack Nicholson' did not say that.  A character that Jack Nicholson played
in a movie said that. A character of questionable judgement, I might add.

Sheesh.

Aquilanne

(Censorship is a process whose application can be either good or bad or
anything in between.)