ANST - The Fine Art of Sounding Alarums

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue May 26 20:32:47 PDT 1998

Galen here, moved at last to comment...

Dennis and Dory Grace wrote:
<snip>
> Moreover, this posting isn't the worst possible consequence of such
> "warnings."  If such warnings become commonplace, innocent lives can easily
> be ruined by unthinking or malicious people.  It's simple enough to see how
> a mistaken identification might cause a good person to be accused of all
> manner of crimes or improprieties.  Imagine how you'd feel if you went to
> check your e-mail and saw that you were being spoken of as a thief, rapist,
> or pedophile.
<snip>

In support of Sir Lyonel's point, I would like to submit that, if such
warnings become commonplace, they will be routinely ignored, and be
thereby stripped of all positive effect.  Do you remember how many
common, popular foods are bad for you?  A hail of warnings helps no
one, unless they can sort them out and keep them straight.  And that's
if they're true.  The false warnings, of course, will still retain
their power to smear reputations ("I saw something on the list about
him; I don't remember exactly what, but it was pretty bad").

- Galen of Bristol
http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel/galen.htm