ANST - Protocol..

Casey&Coni cjw at vvm.com
Wed May 27 12:22:50 PDT 1998

Pug wrote:

>  I know a bunch of the honorifics for different awards and nobility,
>  but what I don't know is how you are supposed, if you do, mix them
>  when a person has more than one.

I got this one...

When they have two, use the one that ranks the highest only.  If they have
two of equal rank, use the one closest to the capacity you currently
consider them to be operating in... i.e. Don/Centurion meets Knight/Pelican:
"Sir Spam? Have you met Centurion Limabeans, yet?" because the common
denominator betwixt the two is chivalric fighting.  Always introduce the one
of more rank to the one of lesser rank first: "Countess Snootybritches, this
is Muck the Lepper."

If in doubt on either of their ranks (or heaven forbid, their names) I have
found that a good trick is to do this:

Ritter Dieterich, uncertain:  "Aaahhhh, nice to see you again.... it's been
such a long time, hasn't it?" (dammit, I know this guys name...)

Squire Tape-em-in-the-privy, skeptically:  "Yes, it has.  And look, here
comes that guy you forgot to introduce me to the last time we were
together..." (Dieterich is such a knob... he never remembers anybody's
names... this should be good)

Duke Handsinthepie, strained: "Hello, Ritter Dieterich." (german upstart...
you pain me) [blank stare at Squire Tape-em]

Ritter Dieterich, in a moment of inspiration:  "Ooooh, you two haven't met
yet?  Why don't you introduce yourselves?  I think Ebergardis is on fire...
I'll be right back, I promise."  [runs off, wishing he had stuck around long
enough to hear their names]

<note: although this gets you through it without actually breaking protocol,
you haven't fooled anybody; they both still know you're a knobish witlack
who can't remember simple things like their names and titles.  It does make
a convenient social save, though, sparing them the sight of your visage in a
radishy hue.>

That's about it for now on protocol.

Ubermannerfreuleine Dieterich