ANST - Protocol..

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed May 27 13:22:52 PDT 1998

Ubermanfrauleine Dieterich wrote:
> When they have two, use the one that ranks the highest only.

I agree that using only one is the correct thing.  Using
more than one is sometimes called "title stacking", and should
not be done.  (Except as a clear joke, but I'll bet
"Baron Master Centurion Don Robin", for example, is fairly
tired of the joke.)

As a general rule, use the title with highest precedence.
However, as someone else noted, if you know the person's preferences,
follow that.  For example, Robin of Gilwell prefers to use the
title appropriate to the circumstances, even if it's
lower -- so call him Don Robin on the swashbuckling field,
Master Robin when discussing service questions, Centurion
Robin on the rattan combat field, et cetera ad nauseum.
(Note to self: ask Donal about resubmitting "Rapier Herald"
for Robin.)

<<Always introduce the one
of more rank to the one of lesser rank first: "Countess Snootybritches, this
is Muck the Lepper."

Actually, this is introducing the lesser to the greater.  The example
is correct.

(Congrats, Dietrich!  You're going to organize the full March
of Precedence, full titles for all, at Coronation!  Have
A Nice Day!)

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;